This is what you must do if you think someone has had an electric shock
- Approach them cautiously. It’s not always clear if someone has had an electric shock, so take care.
- Do NOT touch them with your hands, or feet, or any other part of your body, as this can put you in you in danger too.
- If they have been using electrical equipment, turn this off by unplugging the appliance, or switching off the electricity supply at the fuse box (consumer unit).
- If you cannot do this, push the item away from the victim using a length of wood, or something that is insulated. Never use something metal or anything that conducts electricity.
- After following the guidelines above, if the person is unconscious and you know first aid, treat them, and call for medical help.
- Even if someone says they are OK, they may still need medical help.
To stop electric shocks from happening
- Make sure that the electrical equipment you are using is in good condition. Be very careful if any wires are exposed.
- If the electrical equipment you are using begins to spark, or smell, or smoke, stop using it immediately.
- Make sure that only someone who is competent and qualified carries out electrical repairs or installations.
- If you see someone tampering with, or vandalizing electrical equipment, please let us know as soon as possible, as they are putting themselves and others in danger by their actions.